Monday, May 5, 2008

First (and hopefully last) Hospital Visit





These past couple days have been a total blur. When Hudson woke up yesterday morning, his eye was swollen completely shut. I thought that maybe a bee had stung him the night before (there are always a lot of bees at the fields where Harrison plays baseball) so I gave him some Benedryl. After a couple of hours it seemed to be getting worse, so I called his doctor. The nurse didn't waste much time telling me to take him down to Cook's. Brian was at church with Harrison, so I packed up Hunter, grabbed Hudson and off we went.

I had no idea what was in store for us. As soon as we got there, they took us straight back to be seen. When the doctor came in to check him, he knew right away that it was cellulitis, a fast-growing skin infection. Apparently it entered through a cut on his eyebrow. We have no idea where he picked it up. The scariest part was when the dr. told us there was a possibility of it spreading to the tissue around his eye, and that he would need a CT to rule it out. Talk about sending me into panic-mode~ I called and got Brian out of church and got a hold of my sister to come and get Hunter. The IV and CT were the worst part (he was pitiful), but thankfully it wasn't too long before the doctor came to tell us that the CT was clear, that it was just in his skin, and that a few rounds of IV antibiotics should have him fixed up in no time.

Once Hudson had accepted that we were staying that night (he probably asked to go home about 15 times) he realized that it wasn't so bad there after all. I mean, with endless television, room service that includes pizza, pancakes, and strawberry ice cream, new toys and things to do, and his mom and dad's undivided attention, how much better can it get? He responded very quickly to the anti-biotics, and we were released around lunch time today. That was a great surprise~ they had all told us that the earliest would probably be tonight. He still has a swollen eye, but the redness has gone way down, and we expect him to be good as new in a few days.

We are so thankful for the staff that worked with him at Cook's. They are amazing at what they do, and we were so impressed with how quickly they worked, with how good they were at comforting and calming Hudson down (especially Dr. Wolf, who diagnosed him~ Hudson thought he was great), and their focus on getting him better and making sure we were both informed and comfortable during our stay. We couldn't have asked for a better experience, given the circumstances.

If there is one thing I have learned (I'm sure there are several more) it is to trust your instincts. I had this awful feeling that something was really wrong, and I'm so glad I didn't ignore it. Last night when one of the nurses told me that if I had waited even one day to bring him in that things wouldn't have gone so well, it confirmed what I had been thinking all day. I'm so thankful that he's okay...it was very obvious that God's hand was in the big middle of these past few days...so very thankful.

1 comment:

  1. that is the most pittiful thing ever...at least he ws well taken care of and off to a speedy recovery. kiss him for me!

    ReplyDelete