Saturday, September 27, 2008

Evan Almighty


Tonight Brian, the boys, and I watched "Evan Almighty." I know it's been out for awhile, but this is the first chance we've had to watch it. This is the first movie that the four of us (Hunter was in bed...he's not really "movie-ready" yet) all really liked.

For those of you who haven't seen it, or don't know much about it...Steve Carell stars as Evan Baxter, a newly elected congressman who moves his wife and 3 boys (I felt an instant connection based on the whole 3 boys thing alone) to Washington, D.C., and quickly is called by God (wonderfully played by Morgan Freeman) to build an ark. Early in the movie some references are made about prayer and Evan's wife hoping that their family can grow closer and spend more time together. I don't want to give too much of the movie away if you haven't see it yet, so I'll stop there.

We laughed hard throughout the movie (how can you not laugh hard at Steve Carell?), and we all received a bonus lesson on God's faithfulness, and the importance of family and believing in each other as well. I actually started crying (I've been super-emotional lately for some weird reason, so it wasn't that much of a stretch) at the end, and Brian looked at me like I was a little cuckoo (maybe I am). But I was really touched by this film. It was incredibly refreshing to be able to sit down with my husband and my 7 and 4 year old boys and watch a movie. That was really good. That we all REALLY liked. That we could all laugh at. That had NOTHING rude or inappropriate in it. That carried a pretty impressive cast. And most of all, that also carried a message that isn't very popular in Hollywood these days, in a fun, comfortable, yet challenging way. If you haven't seen it, rent it. I think this family will be owning it very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment