Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Unicorns and Rainbows (and maybe a few dark clouds) ;)

Today at 12:30 our summer officially began.  For the next 10 and a half weeks there are no alarm clocks, no schedules, no school projects or tests to study for....nothing.   I love summertime. Love the lazy days of hanging by the pool, playing games, going for frozen yogurt, vacationing with loved ones...it's very much unicorns and rainbows. ;)  This summer involves some fun plans and is promising to be incredible...but even if we had no plans I would still be doing a happy dance, for this is the time of year when I get the boys home with me all day.  And although the first few days take some adjusting (we affectionately refer to it as the re-entry period;) it's not long before we're back in the groove of near-constant togetherness, and I'm soaking up my time with my 3. :)

So I'm trying to focus on all of this, and not on the fact that in the past week...
...this one graduated from pre-k....

....partied with his buddies;)....




....and this one graduated from elementary school.
Clearly, when B and I were planning our family we didn't think through the fact that 11 years later this would happen at the same time.  Lol....one more reason that it's a good thing it's not up to us, because we know God's timing is perfect, even during the tough mommy moments. ;)  Having one starting middle school at the same time another is starting kindergarten is a little rough on this mama's heart. I've been a "bit" emotional today. ;)

And incredibly thankful that this guy, while making a change too, is a much more 
emotionally-manageable change from 2nd to 3rd grade.
He's pretty pumped, if you can't tell. ;)


Yes...there was lots to celebrate today.

And even the littlest H was making himself at home at what will be his school this fall.
That kid can't pass up a microphone....not a shy bone in his entire body.

 This week we've celebrated friendships...
...and decided it's better (easier?) to put off goodbyes with promises to stay in touch instead, which is much easier to handle, but in this case also true.  He's got some pretty incredible friends. :)

And while every. single. year I get emotional about saying goodbye to their teachers and struggle to wrap my brain around the fact that the school year really is over, this time feels different.  For the first time in my boys' school years, we finally have found our groove.  We love this school, and it feels like home.  We've developed friendships with people who go the distance for us and with us, knowing full well we would do the same for them.  It feels good to be there. :)
And while it doesn't make change any easier, (and I really don't like change), there is a peace and happiness that comes with being secure and comfortable with where you are.  And now the theme from "Cheers" is stuck in my head. ;)

But the thing that keeps looming over my head like a ridiculous dark cloud is this big thing that is going to make everything so very different.

This fall, for the first time in over 11 years, I won't have a baby at home with me.
11 years is a long time to me, and to say I'm feeling a little lost at the idea of this reality would be a giant understatement.  I really have no idea what I'm going to do with myself.  I keep hearing that I'm going to love it.  That I will find all kinds of things to do.  That I deserve this time after years of taking care of babies and preparing them for school.  But really it just feels weird.  And sad.  And lonely.
Looks like I have 10 and a half weeks to get a life.  Lol ;)

I'll figure it out, and am determined to embrace it, just like I've had to with every other change I've faced.  And in the meantime I'm going to do everything in my power to make this summer amazing.  I'm going to carpe diem the heck out of it, realizing full well that the little things are just as important as the big things.  I'm going to love these kiddos and soak up every bit of their 11, almost 8, and 5-ness that I can, because in a flash it'll be time to start setting those alarm clocks again.  Let the magic begin. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment