Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Buckets and Resolutions

It's a new year. A time when people are talking about changes, goals, plans, dreams, etc. Truth is, I don't like New Year's resolutions...always felt like I was setting myself up for failure. I don't think my plans for a new "me" have ever made it past February. Had the best intentions, of course, but life gets in the way. ;) Guess when I really think about it, I'm okay with the way I am. Mostly.
This year, however, I'm trying again. With realistic goals.
1) I WILL (if it kills me) scrapbook 2010. Not worrying about the fact that years 2007-2009 aren't done yet, but focusing on 2010. Because it was a big year for us, and I want to document it.
2) I'm going to step things up a bit with my workouts. I've recently started running a little during my normal walks, and (shockingly)....I like it. Planning to work up to where there's more running than walking. And heading back to Pilates...this class is a once-a-week, 2-hour class . Haven't done that since before I was pregnant with Hunter, and I LOVED it then. Excited about starting again.
3) I'm going to un-plug more, and not be distracted by that stuff when it comes to my kids and my hubs. Not distracted by the computer and phone anymore, but be fully present for my favorite people. We love to play games, play outside, watch movies, etc. More of that in 2011. :)
4) Trying to find the balance between housework and play, busyness and downtime. I'm not good at relaxing. And the truth is, there is ALWAYS something to do....something to clean, clothes to wash, a project to finish, etc, etc. And it seems that the more I try to do, the more I FIND to do. Not that it's a bad thing~ I love having a clean home, and a life that is as organized as can be when you have 3 boys, but I want them to remember their childhood as one that was full of fun, hugs, and laughs in a clean (but not neccessarily perfect) and cozy home. Not one where their mom was too busy cleaning and making things perfect that she didn't have time to play and have fun. Think I can make that happen? We'll see. ;)
Ok, that's it. Pretty reasonable, right?
And now, my bucket list. Part of it, anyway. Things I would LOVE to do this year.
1) Play on the beach with my hubs and my babies. Because we've never done that, and we're so close now...it's gotta happen.
2) There are lots of old, classic movies that I have never seen. "The Sound of Music" is one. ALL of "Gone with the Wind" is another (I've seen parts, but not all). And I know Christmas is over, but I've never seen "Its'a Wonderful Life" in it's entirety either. Can you believe that? I'm a little ashamed of myself. The Doris Day movies I have seen I loved...want to watch more. Any other suggestions?
3) Learn how to play the guitar. Harrison's getting pretty good...maybe he can teach me. :)
4) Go on a mission trip with my family. I keep thinking that Hud and Hunter are too little, but that's wrong. The earlier they learn how to share the love of Jesus with others, the easier it will be to continue to share it throughout their lives. I would LOVE to go to China (or anywhere in Asia, really) but that may be a bit ambitious, and there's a really good chance that I will want to bring a baby back home with me :) so we'll have to work out the details there. We'll see.
5) I would LOVE to see Central Park in the spring. Thankfully, it looks like I'll get to see it with my mom and sisters this spring. Yay!


And now, I leave you with a pic of the boys ringing in the new year in our hotel last weekend. They thought it was so cool getting to drink their sparkling grape juice out of real glasses, and getting to "clink" them. :) So fun!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I am a HUGE fan of classic movies. In February, the Turner Classic Movie channel will play all the movies that got an Oscar. This is a GREAT time to watch and see some great flicks. go to TCM.com and they will list the movies and show you a trailor. Doris Day is a fav of mine but there are so many more wonderful classic movies out there. :)

    ReplyDelete