Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Hymn


I am a big fan of music. All kinds of music...people are usually a little surprised by my wide range of favorites~ Everything from MercyMe to Brad Paisley to Bon Jovi (I heart a lot of the big hair bands actually...Def Leopard, Guns 'N Roses, Poison..I know, shocking, huh?) :) I love Kelly Clarkson and Miley Cyrus (yes, I do), Chris Tomlin and Christy Nockels, The Fray and Alan Jackson. Big Daddy Weave and Good Charlotte. I could go on all day, but for your sake, I won't.
If I had to pick my favorite type of music, I would easily say Praise and Worship, simply because
that is my favorite way to spend time with God. It amazes me that no matter how bad my day is going, all have to do is turn on my i-pod to one of my favorites, and within seconds...I'm okay again. And not just okay, but renewed, at peace, and reminded that my Lord is right here with me. All the time. And that will never cease to humble and amaze me.
Last Sunday we were headed to church, and it had been the usual mad dash trying to get everyone ready and out the door on time so that we weren't late. And I was crabby because we were running late anyway (those of you who know me well shouldn't be surprised by this). Before we had even left our street, I turned up the radio, and Chris Rice's version of The Old Rugged Cross (which I HIGHLY recommend, but wasn't available on playlist.com, or you would be hearing it right now) was playing. Instead, you are listening to Brad Paisley's version, which is amazing in itself. And I almost had to pull the car over because that hymn grabs me by the heart every time I hear it. And apparently, it had been awhile since I've heard it because wow. It was a struggle to pull myself together and safely drive us to church.
I've always preferred the newer, more upbeat praise and worship songs, but there are a few hymns (this one being my favorite) that speak to me on a level I can't explain. And it was at that moment that I was reminded of the importance of keeping some of my old favorites around. They remind me of my childhood. They remind me of my grandparents. They remind me of my first Pastor, who was so passionate about his favorite hymns, and was faithful to share that passion with us. They remind me of the beginning of my walk with God. And all of that equals one remarkable legacy that I plan to pass on to my three H's beginning now.

No comments:

Post a Comment